MANGALORE, July 13, 2014
Updated: July 13, 2014 11:16 IST
The State government has alternative plans for the expansion of the Old Fisheries Harbour at Bunder, J.R. Lobo, Mangalore South MLA, has said.
He told presspersons here on Saturday that a meeting was held recently in Bangalore where alternative plans were worked out in view of the petition pending at the Principal Bench of the National Green Tribunal. The Bench ordered a status quo on the construction work, which was estimated to cost Rs. 57.6 crore, following a petition filed by city-based activist Octavia Albuquerque and others. The tribunal had found, prima facie, that the project was filling up a creek in violation of Coastal Regulation Zone rules.
Mr. Lobo said the government granted approval for works estimated at Rs. 60 crores as part of the third phase of the expansion work. A sum of Rs. 5 crore had been granted for a new jetty at Sultan Battery.
Approval had been granted for a jetty at the northern part of the Old Fishing Harbour at a cost of Rs. 48 crore for boats transporting goods and construction material to Lakshadweep.
Mr. Lobo said steps were being taken to push forward the ambitious Corniche (road along the beach) project on Jeppinamogaru – Kulur – Gurupura Bridge stretch.
Mr. Lobo said the long-pending work on a suspension pedestrian bridge across the Gurupura estuary near Sultan Battery connecting it with Bengre would be executed by the Public Works Department. As a part of works related to development of Costal Circuit for boasting tourism, the State government would improve facilities at beaches in Mangalore. A Rs. 150-crore action plan had been planned for improving roads and pavements in Mangalore, he added.
Courtesy : The Hindu