Mangalore, Oct 11: Ursuline Franciscan Educational Society celebrated golden jubilee of its establishment at Bejai Church hall, here on Saturday, October 11.

Bishop of Mangalore Dr Aloysius Paul D’Souza in his presidential address said, “Convent schools teach values which are attached to life. This is the reason parents want to send their children to convent schools”.

He further said, “Teaching is not merely a profession, but also a vocation and more than that it is a mission. The mission is to provide education to the poorer of the poor. This mission is carried out by the sisters very well”.

“There are few people who do not want to look after their elderly and you sisters are the ones who take care of them no matter in what situation they are. Never stop doing good to the people”, he added.

MLC Ivan D’Souza said, “The government’s duty is to educate the children and the Ursuline Franciscan Educational Society is doing the same. Sisters not only do their job but they also do the work of the government. There are only 2% of Christians in India but for the rest of the 98% of people, Christians do play important role in imparting education”.

Fr Bruno Chelangwa in his speech said, “We are really thankful for the work of the sisters in Same, Tanzania”. He also requested the bishop of Mangalore to add few more priests for the mission in Same Tanzania.

Dr Aloysius Paul D’Souza released the book ‘Lighted to light’ on this occasion.

MLA J R Lobo thanked the sisters for their service for the society. “God has given you the strength to provide education to the society. There are many people who have become successful persons in their life. Women are the strongest force of our lives. They play a very important role in bringing up the society. If they have become sisters today, then we have to thank their parents for letting go of their children for the service of society”.

Edmund Frank inaugurated the ‘Shikshak Nidhi’ project and also handed over Rs 5 lac cheque to Sr Doreen D’Souza.

Dr Francis Serrao said, “To become a better person, he should get good education and good values and all these things our sisters are providing from the past 50 years. Let the service of the sisters’ flow like water’ and let nothing stop you from giving your services to the society”.

Health and family welfare minister, U T Khader praised the Ursuline Franciscan Educational Society for their continuous service. “If our society looks better, then it is the service by the sisters and many other good people. If anybody loves his country, he should provide his service to the society. You cannot call it a social work if you just speak on the mike in front of people on the road and do not show the work in deed. No matter what, I will provide all the help whenever they need”.

Bishop Dr Aloysius Paul D’Souza presided over the programme. Dr Francis Serrao, bishop of Shimoga was the chief guest. U T Khader, minister for Health and Family Welfare, Fr Bruno Chelangwa, Diocese of Same, Tanzania, Walter D’Mello, KES, deputy director of public instruction, Dakshina Kannada, Philomena Lobo, KES director of public instruction, secondary education, Bangalore, Sr Edilburga Monteiro, ex-president of Ursuline Franciscan Educational Society, J R Lobo, Mangalore South MLA, professor Edmund Frnak Dean of PGDBM, St Aloysius College were the guest of honour on the occasion.

Sr Doreeen D’Souza, the superior general of the Ursuline Franciscan congregation president of Ursuline Franciscan Educational Society, Sr Susheela Sequiera vice-president, Sr Lily Fernandes secretary, Sr Genevieve Pinto treasurer among others were also present.

Courtesy : Daijiworld